Registrations Open for Design Research 2017
Registrations are open for Design Research 2017, a single day conference taking place in Sydney on 9 March 2017. The purpose of the day is to take a deep dive into all things related to research for design work, including talks on research principles and great case studies; and how others have solved complex research problems.
The one-day program will have two full conference presentations and no less than ten shorter talks - there may be some later additions.
Full conference presentations:
- New Zealand-based design strategist Penny Hagen, principal of smallfire (and, since August, Design & Research Lead at Lifehack) will talk about how design research processes can and must adapt when focused on social change outcomes: Design research as a social change process
- Ash Donaldson, Principal Consultant at Sydney's Tobias & Tobias, will ask how much important information we miss by relying solely on our own note-taking: Notes are not enough: Why relying on your notes will lead you down the garden path
20 minutes presentations:
- Elyssia Clark: Customers and colleagues connecting for change
- Hendrik Müller: From immersion to a shared vision
- Melissa Voderberg: Inside my pocket: Digital ethnography in patient-centred care
- Dean Johnson and Mary Landrak: Kenyans may tell you they’re drinking water, but in reality they’re all drinking wine
- Rose Matthews: Platform localisation: Adapting for cultural needs beyond translation
- Mariesa Nicholas and Natalie Rowland: Seven lessons from seven years of design research with young people
- Jax Wechsler: Supporting change with design artefacts
- Paul Merrell: The art of interview
- Dalia El-Shimy: Turning anecdotes into insights: Mixed methods research in support of design
- Nick Bowmast: You had to be there
Early bird prices apply until 31 January, but please note that we do limit the number of tickets we sell to ensure that everyone attending has the best possible experience.
Who is it for?
If you are in a role where you will be undertaking any kind of research for a design project or product, this conference is for you. You might be called one of the following, or manage them:
- User researcher
- Market researcher
- User experience designer
- Product designer
- Product owner or manager
- Design manager
- Exhibition or event designer